Sunday 20 May 2012

EMPIRE EXCHANGE- WE BUY, WE SELL, WE TRADE.



We live in a fast moving society, obsessed by the idea of having the newest gadgets, designer hand bags, smart phones and we hope that all of this stuff will make our lives better.... We don't read books, we have Kindle. We don't play records any more, nor buy CDs, we have iTunes. My last VHS tape was my 1992 Holy Communion, now we have DVDs.

They say that one person's trash is another person's treasure and Empire Exchange is the place where you can find all that old and unwanted stuff. Everything there is a real piece of our history. Hoping that they won't be forgotten I decided to create a series of 5 colour, real life fantasy images.

The photos were taken with my medium format camera and colour negative film (there's something about that square format), scanned and digitally edited. With this body of work I tried to create a story which is not obvious at first. I want you to look beyond the model and her clothes and think about all of the memories you have of reading a comic book, or watching your big sister playing Tina Turner on vinyl, because they are both Simply the Best.

Here's what happened when I went to what is known as a junk shop with a group of my dear friends and played around.

Enjoy!



Photography and styling: Karolina Hubner (all clothing by H&M)
Make up: Rachel
Photography assistance: Maciek Wojciechowski
Set assistant: Pippa Kinsey 
Model: Rachel


 











 






that's the wrap!

No comments:

Post a Comment